Friday 2 September 2011

Not such a kid after all

   17 year old "kid". The emphasis being on the "kid". Almost all people in my batch at GNLU are 18 year old or 19 year old. A few are even 20. So everyone here derives satanic pleasure in calling me kid. They dont consider me to be a kid but the fact that I am legally not an adult is something that they love exploiting. Me and my room mate Eros, (random names for people other than me in case they decide to sue for defamation or slander, later) are the only "legally non-adults" in our block of the boys hostel. So he gets the same treatment. In fact he gets it more because of his built.
   The story of today's blog is based on an incident that happened 3 days back. It was the first night of the three day holiday, so the spirits were running high. Not that we work our asses off on the working days but we deserve credit for sleeping 3-5 hours on those days. So yeah, the joy  of hours of sleep does gun every persons spirit. And I need not mention what happens when a group of barely "legally adult" boys are high on spirit and have an entire day to sleep coming up. To all the innocent people they drink and smoke till they blow their minds off.

   So began the procession of cigarettes, hookahs and the rest... Me and my room mate were the only ones in our group totally disinterested in the "delicacies". So we hung back in our room and I watched Boston Legal (Lock and Load) while Eros watched a movie. 

   This went on till 2:30 when some one knocked on the door. We opened it to find Trip (sorry, it maybe lame but I cant help it) looking confused, worried, and unfocused. It was a blast of mixed emotions. He asks us if we have some ointment for burns. We say no, obviously and ask why it was required. He tells us Yudi burnt his foot and before we can comprehend the magnitude of what he said  he is off, leaving us shocked. 

   So both of us ran upstairs to find all the people huddled around Yudi's bed. There was a strong smell of dunno what all and on the bed was Yudi with an expression not too different from that of the Joker from The Dark Knight. These people have put pepsodent toothpaste on his feet and there is Mango juice and chocolate biscuit next to his bed, courtesy Srdr's huge reservoir of hidden food. So I now ask Yudi what exactly happened and to cut a long story short he was dragging a hookah when he spilt 2 blocks of coal and stepped on them. His extraordinarily sharp senses didnt knock on his awake brain till he had been standing on the coal for full 120sec. By the time his awake brain could wake up and react his foot had already received burns of 1st degree (Medical terms like Legal terms sound really cool, unless they are not applicable to you).

   He completes the narration. While I am clearly not amused he finds something really funny about it. He looks around and asks for more "stuff" as all the activity has worn down the effects of all the things that he took. So everyone comes to a conclusion that he is fine now and they disperse. Not to their beds but to what they were doing earlier. Daddy stays back and asks if he can have the juice and the biscuits. How much more ridiculous could this get?

   Anyway its 3 am now and we decide that Yudi must sleep. So we put out the lights and play soft music till we can see his mouth opening ( that's the sign that he is drifting off to the dreamland of his) 

   Here comes another issue. Next to Yudi is Tunn who has been sound asleep all the time closed to the material world on the outside. The problem is he has a flight to catch next morning. Well, thats not the problem exactly but the fact that they are both asleep and the laptops and valuables are lying open in the room meant that I couldnt leave the room unlocked. But since I had no idea what time Tunn's flight left, I couldnt lock them from outside. For all I knew he might have to leave by 5 or 6am and I would definitely not be up by then.

   So I go looking for Trip and I find him in Yudi's room. Actually Trip is the room mate of Tunn but since Yudi was on Trip's bed they would be changing beds for the night (:P). So I find Trip sitting in the dark pantry of Yudi's room talking on the phone with Granger. And he was in some funny mood and don't know if he thought I was a dog but he shooed me away.

   Finally I had to ask Panda to unlock Tunn's room the moment he (Panda) woke up. That is because Panda is the most reliable clock there is, in the entire block of mad hatters. Never seen him on bed after 7am. I was about to lock Tunn's room when I realised that Eros had left and and the room was open. So I was about to close the door when I heard a groan from the room. Worried I went to check what the problem was. And there was a dog in the room.

   The night kept getting more and more hilarious. It just struck me that had I not heard the groan I would have locked the dog inside the room and didnt dare think about the consequences for the fear of bursting out laughing. And adding to the humor was the dog who had a taste for good toothpaste. He was licking the Pepsodent of Yudi's feet and Yudi was groaning in his sleep. He kept saying, "please leave my feet alone. I am fine, dont do anything to them now. Please.." The entire night was turning more and more crazy. Finally, I managed to pull the dog away from his feet and the dog now turned towards the dustbin where these people had put some chicken bones they had eaten the previous night. And he started crunching the bones that were left over. Now another issue. The night was turning from extraordinary to extra terrestrial.

   So I now had to snatch the dust bin and chuck it outside the room. And as I picked up the dustbin the dog started leaping on me. I somehow managed to keep myself from bursting with laughter and threw the dustbin outside. The dog chased the precious bones and exited the room. So I locked the room gave the keys to Panda and went back to my room. Eros was back on his movie so I went back to Boston Legal. And enter Trip who had finally put down the phone. He came in said " Wow, today was something. What A conversation I had." Before I could compare my day to his, he was asleep with his eyes partly open and his mouth totally open. We let him be that way till it was 5 and we had to sleep. So Eros woke him up, if that could be called waking up and accompanied him till Yudi's room put him on his bed and came back and finally we went to sleep.

   So looking back I wonder what does the term Legally Adult mean? A legally Adult person is supposed to be the one who can take perfect care of himself. Yet it is also the age that allows you to do things that would help you in not taking proper care of yourself. So am I happy with not being a Legal Adult? Maybe yes, because that way it is illegal to cause harm to yourself, while being a Legal Adult gives you the right to do whatever you want to ruin yourself. While all the adults were in such an unstable state it was the only two "kids" handling all of them. What is the sense of making a person an adult when he has to be taken care of by a "kid". So is there a point in being an adult. Why am I not an adult? After all I can look after myself and also of others who are considered to be fit to take care of themselves. 

   But I think being allowed to drive my own car is way too important. So yes, I eagerly await becoming an adult. After all the adult has a choice. That is the essence of adulthood. Being given the right to choose what is right and what is wrong. Becoming an adult doesn't force you to take up stuff which are not really helping you in any way. Just that you can choose if you want it or not.

   On that note I leave it up to you to decide what is right and what is wrong. And whether you really need the adulthood that you will get or have recently got. Are you using it in the manner it is legally meant. For me the car is way too important. So, I would love to be an adult just to avoid the senseless prices that the Rickshaw drivers demand and drive away at high speed. To vote stupid people out of the parliament and put another group of stupid people in there. And all other things that really form the core of being an adult.

   Leave me comments negative/positive so that I can improve myself. After all I cant make you go through so much and not shape it according to you.

Buckchod
Lock and Load

3 comments:

  1. you are gr8 bhai i totally don't need 2 go 2 tution 2 learn english u r my inspiration 4 improvement in english
    ur english is gr8 n u r gr8
    since d day u left i didn't think i missed u but now i can say i m imssing u a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing dude!!! hats off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually there are three 17 year old guys in ur block.

    ReplyDelete